Who made it?
The origins of Domaine de la Romanee-Conti (DRC) go back centuries. The first vines in the estate's flagship vineyard La Romanee-Conti Grand Cru were planted by the Romans, thought to be the origin of the name “Romanee.”
The modern history of DRC begins with Jacques-Marie Duvault-Blochet, who bought the estate in 1869 and gradually incorporated neighbouring grand crus, including Richebourg and Grand Echézeaux. Today, DRC is jointly managed by descendants of Duvault-Blochet.
In 1942, the Burgundy negociant Henri Leroy acquired 50% stake of DRC, bringing with him the vital financial backing to make the brand the ultimate fine wine icon. The current co-owner Aubert de Villaine took over from his father in 1953. The other, Henri-Frederic Roch, took over after the 1992 departure of his aunt Lalou Bize-Leroy, who went on to create the rival estate, Domaine Leroy – a story for another day!